Los Angeles, CA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and his Chief Legal Counsel Tom Saenz are confronted with raucous opposition to what has been widely described as a “power grab” involving billions of taxpayers dollars intended for the Los Angeles Unified School District. In a special Full Disclosure Network™ cable television series on 43 California cable systems all the major players are featured. A FREE seven minute video preview of the two-part series is available here 24/7, on demand, as a public service.
Issues that are hotly debated in this two-part special program are the major components addressed in AB 1381 sponsored by Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez that is awaiting the Governor’s signature soon, they include:
- Consolidation of power in an appointed Superintendent that answers to both the School Board and a new “Council of Mayors”
- Setting up a new bureaucracy known as the “Council of Mayors”
- Control through the Mayor’s Community Partnership
Those featured in the video are:
- Antonio Villaraigosa, L.A. Mayor
- Roy Romer, LAUSD Superintendent
- Gloria Romero, State Senator
- Tom Saenz, Chief Counsel to the Mayor
- Jackie Goldberg, Member, California State Assembly
- Kevin Reed, LAUSD General Counsel
- Fabian Nunez, California Assembly Speaker
- Marlene Cantor, President L.A. Board of Education
- Scott Folsom, President 10th District PTA
- Alex Padilla, Los Angeles City Councilman
- Gerry Miller, Chief Legislative Analyst, L.A. City
- Gene Krischer, Friends of the Children
- Bernard Parks, Los Angeles City Council
- Marebelle Delatorre, City of San Fernando Council Member
Other highlights include:
- The California State Assembly Bill 1381 was proposed to give power over the funds and the schools to the Los Angeles Mayor and to take power from the elected School Board members. In this video many of the critical points are debated while legal experts predict the legislation is unconstitutional and will be invalidated if approved and signed into law.
- The complete one hour, two-part special Full Disclosure™ seriesfeatures behind the scenes skirmishes not reported by the mainstream media, that including portions of a letter from Fresno Mayor Autry and major players involved in the power struggle.
- Assembly Education Committee Chairperson Jackie Goldberg loses control of the meeting to members of the audience who object to statements made by State Senator Gloria Romero and the Mayor’s Chief Legal Counsel.
Billed as “the news behind the news” the Full Disclosure Network™ is an independent, educational, public affairs cable program featured on 43 cable systems and the worldwide Internet website http://www.fulldisclosure.net/ Hosted by Leslie Dutton, who in 2002 was presented with a public affairs Emmy Award from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for their series entitled “L.A.’s War Against Terrorism”. Channels and airtimes can be found on the website.