Los Angeles, CA Is it acceptable for Cardinal Roger Mahony to instruct his Priests, Bishops and Catholic lay workers to defy U. S. Immigration Laws in hopes of derailing or influencing immigration reform legislation? Full Disclosure Network™ presents the striking but contrasting views of Cardinal Mahony and International Radio Broadcaster Stan Interrante, of the “Catholic News & Views”, (St. Joseph Radio) are featured in a 28 minute Internet Video, avalible free “on demand” 24/7, for a limited time as a public service of the Full Disclosure Network™.
A few quotes from the program:
- Cardinal Mahony: “My concern, in our community, is to reach out with Pastoral care to those (immigrants) that are here. The Church is not the Border Patrol. I cannot be too concerned on how they got here, they are here.”
- Interrante: The Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 2241 states “Political authorities for the sake of the common good for which they are responsible, may make the exercise of the right to immigrate subject to various juridicial conditions, especially with regard to the immigrants’ duties toward their country of adoption”
- Cardinal Mahony: “Nobody wants to leave their homeland, they (immigrants) are only doing it because they cannot afford to take care of their families and so it is out of desperation that they leave.”
- Interrante: “The Catechism of the Catholic Church, Paragraph 2429 states that anyone has the right of economic inititiative, but qualifies this by stating ‘He (the immigrant) should seek to observe the regulations issued by legitimate authority for the sake of the common good.’ And that would apply to the Cardinal and anyone who under his jurisdiction, for example, the clergy. The Church is very clear about that.
- Cardinal Mahony: “ Nobody, that I know, who lives in a middle class family is picking peaches in the Central Valley, washing dishes in the hotels and restaurants, making beds in the hotels. So our economy has developed to rely upon this kind of work force.”
- Interrante: “We often hear ‘Illegal immigration is necessary for our economy.’ The Catechism of the Catholc Church addresses the issue of a just wage in paragraph 2436, stating simply ‘it is unjust not to pay the social security contributions required by legitimate authority.’ We have an underground economy which is flourishing largely, to a tremendous extent because of illegal immigration. …We have employers exploiting immigrants, paying them low wages. We have many benefits that they proffer from that they don’t contribute to in taxes. Both of those conditions are unjust.”
Moderated by Leslie Dutton, the Full Disclosure Network™ is an independent public affairs television program, billed as “the news behind the news” and featured on 43 cable systems and the worldwide Internet at http://www.fulldisclosure.net/ In 2002 the program was presented with a public affairs Emmy Award from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Channels and airtimes can be found on the website.